PATTEN  POINT  YACHT  CLUB

 

HISTORY

HOME

WEB DIRECTORY

HISTORY

PPYC BRIDGE

CALENDAR

SOCIAL

WEATHER

LINKS

MARITIME HISTORY

SLIDESHOW

BOATING SAFETY

MESSAGE BOARD

NAUTICAL CHARTS

MEMBERS ONLY

WEB CAM

 

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome to the official web site of the Patten Point Yacht Club, located at Pleasure Bay, on the banks of the Shrewsbury River. Founded in 1964, PPYC has become over the years the preeminent port of call on the East Coast.

The Club was originally known as the Monmouth Power Boat Association, who's aims were to combine educational and social activities in facilities suitable for boating and recreational activities. After much searching, the Patten Estate located on Patten Avenue and Renwick Place in Long Branch became available. On May 29, 1964, the Monmouth Power Boat Association amended its Certificate of Incorporation and became the Patten Point Yacht Club. The Patten Estate is steeped in history reflective of the era of the steamship.

In 1890, Thomas Gedney Patten, then owner/operator of the Sea Bright & Long Branch Steamboat Company, started construction of a luxury home in Long Branch along Manhasset Creek. In 1898, the Patten Steamship Line and the Atlantic Coast Electric Railway jointly built the Riverside Hotel and the Riverside Park on adjacent Pleasure Bay. The park was well known, and offered a fish pond, merry-go-round, picnic groves, and a floating theater on the Shrewsbury River. That was at the turn of the century when Long Branch was regarded as the summer capital of the country.

The Patten Steamship Line ran three ships, the SS Pleasure Bay (1890-1905), SS Mary Patten (1893-1929) and the SS Thomas Patten (1901-1919) on a route from Pleasure Bay, Long Branch to Sea Bright, to the Highlands and then on to New York City.

Pass your cursor over the ship's whistle above  to hear what she might have sounded like departing Pleasure Bay.

New York City was then very dependent upon shipping to deliver goods and passengers. All manner of commercial vessels were to be seen, including sail and steam. In the mid 1860's there were over 12 steamships plying the waters between New Jersey and New York. Dock space in New Jersey at that time was confined to the bay shore area and Sandy Hook. In 1870 the Long Branch and Seashore Railroad built track terminating at the steamship dock in Horseshoe Cove, Sandy Hook. Shortly thereafter, the Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad laid track to the docks at Port Monmouth. The Central Railroad of New Jersey also expanded it's tracks to Atlantic Highlands. During the next 70 years there would be more then 125 steamships linking over 15 New Jersey communities with New York City. The rivalries between individual steamboat companies was intense.

In 1890 Thomas Patten Sr., a wealthy member of the NY Stock Exchange, organized the Sea Bright & Long Branch Steamboat Company, and installed his son, Thomas G. Patten as its president. The first steamship was purchased and named Pleasure Bay. A few years later, Patten purchased another steamship, the Elberon, and took over undisputed control of the daily-scheduled Shrewsbury River run. By 1884, three more steamships were added: the Mary Patten (named for his mother), the Little Silver, and the Thomas Patten (named for his father). The company was known as the Patten Line.

The Thomas Patten was 201' in length, and was the first steel-hulled steamship on the river. The roundtrip cost for the New York-to-Pleasure Bay run was 50 cents.

According to oral history, the Patten House was built by Ship's carpenters and many of the construction details supports this conclusion. The turned post woodwork, the garlanded medallion ceilings, Victorian balustrade, and the many beautiful mantels suggest the handiworks of marine carpenters. The house is a three-story, twenty-two room mansion, situated on over four acres of land.

Thomas G. Patten was also a Representative in the United States Congress. His Congressional biography can be read HERE.  Seventy four years later, Patten’s estate was to become the home of PPYC. Over the years it has been refurbished and expanded. Today, the Club House overlooks a brand new marina with the Club fleet resting safely and comfortably. Throughout the year members work together in an endeavor to maintain and beautify an historic and charming estate and marina.

Social functions occur year round, and the “fleet” makes yearly trips to the Sound and north on the Hudson. PPYC is truly a family organization, and remains a vital part of NJ maritime history.

For membership information click HERE

UP